There are many reasons why people don’t eat eggs: dietary restrictions, lifestyle choices, and, of course, allergies. But sometimes the things we can’t have, or that we deny ourselves, are the things we crave the most!
So, when we heard a rumour that the popular brunch favourite, the omelette, could be made vegan using chickpea flour, we wanted to try it out for our allergy foodies who can’t eat eggs but who miss the savoury, protein-filled breakfast. It took a few test runs, but we think we’ve come up with a pretty good take with the added eggy-tasting goodness of black salt!
• 1/2 cup tofu
• 1/2 cup plant milk
• 3 tblsp of chickpea flour
• 1 tblsp nutritional yeast
• 1 tblsp tahini
• 1 tblsp cornflour
• 1/2 tsp kalanamak or black salt
• 1/4 tsp turmeric
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1. Blend all ingredients together until silky smooth.
2. Cook as you would an omelette in a lightly greased pan over medium-low heat until brown on both sides.
What you put in your omelette is a really down to personal preference (or perhaps a fond childhood memory of a home-cooked breakfast). We served ours with fresh cherry tomatoes, avocado and herbs. Bon appétit!